In support of the University of Arizona's commitment to being a family-friendly university, the Office of University Initiatives collaborated with Human Resources and a Parental Leave Working Group to expand parental leave for employees. The Parental Leave Policy (Interim) was signed on December 22, 2021 and went into effect on January 1, 2022.
The expansion of parental leave includes the following:
- Doubles paid parental leave from 6 weeks to 12 weeks.
- Offers 12 additional weeks of unpaid parental leave, during which time sick, vacation, or comp time can be used.
- Expands eligibility to include foster placement, guardianship placement, surrogacy, and stillbirth.
- Allows for parental leave to be taken at any time in the first 12 months after a child joins a family, starting up to 2 weeks before it is anticipated that a child will join a family.
- Adds 2 weeks of paid parental leave for miscarriage.